
Usually we go to the embassy about once a week for the following: to check mail, change dollars to shekels, or visit the health unit. Last week we were advised to stay clear of the embassy for security reasons. With our trip now just a day away, we desperately needed to do one last mail run, get our flu shots that were scheduled for last week, and take out some cash. So, our family of four headed to the embassy for a quick stop.
First we took care of the flu shots, then we split up: Stewart and Lydia headed upstairs to the cashier, and Will and I went down to the mail room. Wouldn't you know it? The next thing we know internal sirens go off, and a voice comes over the loudspeakers: "This is not a drill. Take cover. Move away from the windows. Get down on the ground and cover your heads. This is not a drill." Will and I moved to the back of the mail area and sat down with his new High Lights magazine. People were filing in from stairwells, and several people reported hearing gun fire. What?! We just assumed it was more rockets.
Meanwhile, Stewart was upstairs with Lydia:
Lydia & I were on the 2nd floor when the alarm went off and everyone ducked for cover away from the windows. That's when I heard the distinctive 'pop-pop-pop' of M-9 shots being fired. Lydia was a real trooper. She asked, "Is that more rockets, Daddy?" I told her, in what was the most surprising sentence I've ever uttered, "No kiddo, it's just gunfire. It'll be over in a little bit." And so it was.
Apparently, an assailant drove his rental-car to the back gate and came at the security guards with an axe and a knife, injuring one in the leg before being shot multiple times by the guards on duty. Most people expected the attacker to be a Palestinian, but according to the news it was an Israeli man about 41 who was trying to commit suicide. He survived several shots to the leg and was rushed to the hospital. This had nothing to do with the ongoing conflict in Gaza, but it was just something else that adds to the tension.
We just so happened to pick the exact wrong time to visit the embassy. Thankfully, we weren't walking to our car at the time the whole show went down, because it happened to be parked just a few feet away. Consequently, our blue van became part of the crime scene, and we were forced to enjoy a leisurely lunch at a nearby cafe and wait for the police and news media to clear out before we were able to return home. On the upside, we were able to meet up with our Hebrew teacher from the states, Hilla, for a short visit. She just happens to be in town visiting family.
In typical Israeli fashion, they cleaned up the blood, took some pictures, interviewed a few folks, and before an hour passed you never would have known what had happened there.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4308990,00.html

This was all a little rattling, but we are quickly learning to expect the unexpected over here, and then to deal with it--and then go out to lunch. What else can we do?
On the bright side of all this mess, we have a lot to be thankful for.
1) we all got our flu shots
2) we got the mail
3) no one got shot (for real)
Great Success! Yes, it's Crazy.
But one thing we know for sure: the Tel Aviv Welches are in need of a little break from Tel Aviv.
Oh, and air raid sirens went off today in Jerusalem for the second time this week as more rockets were fired in their direction from Gaza. So it seems that all of the Israeli Olmsteders are getting a truly "Israeli" experience.
Shalom Ya'll,
E & Stew
Will you puh-LEEZ come home now?! I can't take it anymore!!! I had a total meltdown in Haiti when you posted the first rocket comment!! IN HAITI, I tell you!!! ...where I had intermittent internet access at best!
ReplyDeleteI think at this point, Kathy might just come collect y'all herself :) So glad you're safe and sound! What an adventure...
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you're safe...but I'm telling you that I'm getting an ulcer worrying about you all. I agree with Leslie...Kathy is gonna come get you and drag you home!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
I have no words. I'll say it again, the strength of the two of you is incredible to me. Stay safe sweet friends!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are real troopers. What an account and holistic perspective of it all (yay for the flu shots and mail). Stay safe and we're keeping you-and everyone else over there-in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteGlad you guys can get away from it all for a while. Hopefully things will have calmed when you return. Have a great trip and stay safe!
ReplyDelete