
This past week has been an unusually stormy one for Israel. Heavy rains, hail, snow, flooding, strong winds, and unusually low temps for the country have thrown everyone off kilter. Yes, I am well aware that this pales in comparison to something like Katrina, but this is really big stuff for this part of the world!

On Tuesday morning I had a date with a friend in Jaffa, which is about a 15 minute drive from us. Since my weekday mornings are spent making breakfast, packing school lunches, and making sure all family members are dressed and out the door on time, I typically don't listen to Israeli news radio or TV. OK, I never do. So, because of this it is no surprise that when I set off to meet my friend I had no idea that half of Tel Aviv was shut down due to the storms, that the major highways were closed, and that the police were advising everyone not to travel into Tel Aviv unless absolutely necessary. Oops. My fifteen minute drive took a solid hour. Stop lights were out everywhere, and traffic was at a standstill. On the plus side, as I drove down the main beach road I was able to see the Mediterranean in such a fury that the beach restaurants were flooded and the road I was on was covered in sand. It was quite a sight!

In keeping true to form with our Israeli experience thus far, you just never know what to expect or what each day will hold. I guess that is more of a life lesson than an Israel lesson. And since I am on the subject of life lessons....
Life lesson #863: When you order new rain boots for your child three weeks before Christmas, they will arrive five weeks later - on the last day of the biggest storm in 15 years, naturally.
Let's hope they still fit next year.
Shalom Y'all,
E
No comments:
Post a Comment