Well, this is it. I've finally graduated from TAU, only a day before I fly w/ the family back to the states. My degree is a Master's of History in Modern Middle Eastern Studies, taught entirely in Hebrew. In the beginning, I had serious doubts that I could even finish a Master's in a foreign language, much less one that reads from right to left. But I've had so much help along the way from teachers, faculty, friends, and of course Elizabeth. Being allowed to write papers and tests in English was a huge help as well, because reading anything I write in Hebrew probably feels like a form of punishment to the reader.
As for Tel Aviv University, I found it to be a top-notch institution. I've heard horror stories of second-rate foreign schools with less than professional programs, but that has not been my experience at all. My instructors at the Moyshe Dayan Center are highly respected, published academic historians. They are all very educated dudes. Some of my classes included 'History of the Modern Middle East,' 'Political History of Modern Turkey', 'Modern Iran', 'The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict' and 'American Involvement in the Middle East'. They were all fascinating, and though I didn't understand every word or follow every discussion, I feel far more informed about this part of the world than I was two years ago.
Here I am with Anat, the Department Secretary and one of the most helpful people I've ever met. Without her...this would have been an exercise in futility! Many thanks also go to...
Hilla Israeli--She taught me the Aleph-Bet and told me to go get a Masters..."You can do it!"
Yupi Bar--She runs Will's Gan & she helped me translate a 24-page paper into Hebrew. Ouch!
The cultural immersion aspect of studying in an Israeli program for Israeli professionals cannot be overstated, either. I met folks from the IDF (Army), the jail system, from the Shin Bet (Israeli FBI), and even journalists from the newspapers and local TV stations. In addition to these folks, I have a whole other set of friends from my Hebrew courses, which probably took up more of my study time than anything else.
Finally, I cannot write this without including a bit about the obvious differences between Israeli lectures and what one might find in an American classroom. Here are a few examples:
- Cats wander freely throughout the buildings of TAU. They have even been known to jump on the professor's desk during class. This took a little getting used to.
- Men and women can bring guns to class in Israel. It was not uncommon for me to see uniformed soldiers sitting in my class with an M4 or sidearm hanging by their side. I'm pretty sure this would never fly at GWU or UNC.
- In Israel, it's OK to interrupt the Professor. This this happens a good bit. Often times, the lectures would transform into what looked like minor shouting matches, but what we call here: discussions. This was fun to watch...but difficult to follow. High comedic value
- I wore flip-flops to graduation, and I was not in the least out-of-place.
All-in-all, I'm extremely thankful for the opportunity to study here, to meet wonderful people, and to be exposed to a whole different culture, people, geography, history, and to do so in their own language. On this graduation day, I can say that the juice was definitely worth the squeeze.
Stewart, words cannot express how proud I am of you and how excited and thankful I am that you and Elizabeth and the children had this experience. And I am equally glad and excited that you are coming home. I love you more than words can say. Mom
ReplyDeletewow. what a ride. many congrats. it'll be great to see all of you. happy travels. Martha Abernethy
ReplyDeleteCongrats! That is no small accomplishment. The picture of you two is fantastic. One of you is totally glowing!!
ReplyDelete