Home

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Remembering Dalia...


I was saddened tonight to hear of the passing of my friend, jazz singer Dalia Pinkus. She died after a long and valiant fight with breast cancer. I met her back in January when she asked me and Gilad to play a gig with her at a Tel Aviv jazz club [Shablul]. I was happy to do it, and I even convinced Elizabeth to come and hear, promising that this wouldn't be the typical 'weird jazz' that she can't stand. When I got to the sound check that night, the manager told me the place was sold out. No seats. Standing room only. I couldn't believe there we had a sellout crowd on a Monday night at a jazz club--that's unheard of. I even had to call Elizabeth and several of my friends to tell them not to come because Dalia sold out the house. As is turned out, her entire cancer support group came out to see her give an amazing performance complete with two full sets, and an encore, all-the-while she was still battling stage 4 breast cancer. What an inspiration.

I am heartbroken to hear of her passing, yet so glad to have known her, and so very blessed to have had the chance to play music with her. Thank you, Dalia...this one's for you.


Shalom Ya'll,
Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment