Home

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

EJ's Birthday: Ein Hod & Akko

My birthday started out with a wonderful surprise present from Stewart and the kids....a gorgeous jewelry set.



That's right. Not only is the jewelry exquisite, but it is archaeological! How cool is that? So, later that morning we made a detour to the jeweler's house and shop on the way to our day trip to Ein Hod and Akko, where we purchased a few Christmas presents. Family, if you do not like what you see above, or are entirely uninterested, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Gentlemen, if you're looking for original birthday, anniversary or Christmas ideas..... look no further. We'll be happy to take orders and send some fine Roman glass jewelry your way. We charge a bag of Starbucks, Seattle's Best, Kona or Wawa coffee as our handling fee.

The jeweler at work.
Of course, our girly girl was mesmerized--and she used her charming cuteness to convince him to make her a little necklace all her own. Score.


Ein Hod
After our jewelry detour, we were off to Ein Hod, our favorite little art village, in search of serenity and artwork to cover our bare walls.


We didn't find the painting we were looking for, but Ein Hod is never disappointing. The scenery is just so beautiful.










Akko
After our lunch and leisurely stroll through Ein Hod, we traveled further north to Akko (also spelled Acco/ Acre/ Akre). This is one of the most ancient cities in Israel. Somehow, over the years it has remained well preserved, and it is quaint and peaceful. It is currently an Arab port city. This city has been occupied by pretty much everyone...from the Egyptians to the tribe of Asher to the Greeks, Romans, Crusaders, Turks, and the list goes on and on. It is amazing and truly surreal to be walking around an area with such rich history.




I wish you could see the beautiful detail on each of these dresses (I'm sure there is a more formal/ appropriate name for this attire). Just stunning!








After meandering through the old city for some time, we came to the lighthouse and port. It was there that we discovered this group of daredevil teens (I feel so old b/c I honestly wondered to myself if I had ever been so young or stupid) jumping off the city walls into the Mediterranean below. The wall was high. Quite high. And the water, well...it didn't look that deep to me. Nonetheless, they had a blast, and so long as they all popped up alive, we enjoyed watching them.


Shalosh...Arba......Ve!!!!
(3...4....And! It's the Israeli substitute for 1..2...3! or ready...set...go!)





This boat also stopped to watch....and the crowd loved it!

...and I think these folks dining by the water also enjoyed the show.

Sploooosh!

Shalom, y'all...we're off to get some sleep. It's camels and a bedouin camp tomorrow:)

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Ein Hod looks like such a gorgeous place to hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth! That jewelry set is SO YOU!!! So gorgeous and sophisticated! I totally think you and Stewart need to get a sitter and head back from some extreme jumping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all look like you are having an amazing experience. I think I am going to have to put Israel on my list of places to visit. The jewelry is absolutely beautiful. Beautiful pictures, too. Love reading your experiences. Jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete