Home

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Gilad Shalit


Yesterday (18 Oct 2011), an Israeli soldier named Gilad Shilit was released after over 5 years of being held prisoner in Gaza by Hamas. In exchange for his safe return, Israel agreed to release 1,027 Palestinian prisoners from Israeli prisons. For a synopsis, click here.
This was huge news here in Israel. I became familiar with this story last year, and when we arrived here in June I saw signs around Tel Aviv & Jerusalem calling for his release. When the day finally came, and it was impossible not to feel the emotion.



What was so interesting to me was the general public response--which is simply enormous. Israelis have an insatiable appetite for news, especially moving stories like this one. Every person I knew was glued to the TV, the computer, and the newspaper to follow the events as they unfolded.

It all started a week ago when they announced the agreement--my friend Izzy was reading the breaking details of the deal on his smart-phone during a jazz concert in Jerusalem. I looked around and noticed that our entire row were doing the same. "This is history," he told me. Yesterday the story was everywhere. People were talking about it at the embassy warehouse, at Lydia's dance lesson, standing in line at the butcher, at our neighbors, and even at the jam session Monday night. And of course his release was covered on the news around the clock.

People followed this story as if Gilad was their own brother coming home. And the truth is, that's exactly the situation--people from all sides of the political spectrum are elated to see one of their soldiers return home, even if many are apprehensive about the potential danger--or don't agree with the terms of the deal. This is one moment when Israel feels to me like a single, tight-knit culture who's common bond emanates from a shared experience in military service, which unlike in America, is mandatory here. While there are a myriad of cultural differences at play in this tiny, complex country, yesterday the sentiment was unanimous: "Baruk HaBa" Gilad [it's like saying Welcome Home]. I'm sure that the same sentiment is shared about 1,027 times over in Palestine & Gaza as well.

One thing is for sure: there's never a dull moment over here in the Middle East.

Shalom Y'all-Stew

2 comments:

  1. Happy Gilad Shalit day!
    This day was so so emotional, unifying, happy, sad, all together. I was very very proud of Israel - finally we left the multiple disagreements aside, to celebrate life. This is the greatness of Israelis - being untied in real happiness or sorrow. It is hidden most of the time, so I'm truly glad you had the chance to witness this, for your cultural learning.
    Very special day.
    We may pay eventually a higher price for this deal, but it is worth it, not only for the life of a young men, but also for preserve one of our most important values: we never leave a soldier in the battle field. As the service here is mandatory, as you mentioned, we always remember that this could be the son of each one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what you guys were seeing with respect to Gilad's release. Really interesting post! I like how you mention the Palestinian prisoner/terrorist releases....no side is squeaky clean, and most of us (including me) don't even understand the half of what goes on. Like we say in Dakar, c'est pas évident. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete